Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ferrogosto Weekend Part One Saturday





Last weekend was Ferragosto the August Bank holiday that the majority of Italians plan their main summer holidays around, Marta is certainly at its busiest for the entire month of August.
The weather was absolutely brilliant and we had a very busy but enjoyable weekend.
Our celebrations commenced with lunch next door with our lovely neighbours Bruno and Annunciata, a great cook Annunciata provided us with a traditional Italian lunch of many courses. Some how food cooked in the traditional forno just seems to taste extra special! Lasagne was followed by thin slices of beef in a gravy style sauce with minted peas. Then a second meat course forno roasted chicken and garlic forno roast potatoes. My mouth is watering as I type! Two more courses, salad then fruit followed before one of Italy’s favourite desserts tiramisu. Coffee and liqueurs rounded off the meal. David and I normally only eat a very light lunch so by the time we got home we were ready to sit quietly in the shade for awhile. Not only eating so much but speaking Italian for three hours solid is exhausting.

That evening our friends Viv and Nick joined us for a quick and simple BBQ before they took us to Capodimonte for the Ferragosto Procession and Firework Display. We had a fabulous evening, the place was heaving with people, we had no idea it was quite so popular. For those of you that know it busier than Brockham Bonfire!! Obviously the thing to do is to arrive much earlier in the day than we did and have a picnic on the beach before the display at 11pm. It was a fantastic display which we watched sitting on the beach. Everywhere was so busy afterwards we decided to head back to Marta for coffee and ice cream, which took us about 45 minutes rather than the normal five minutes between the two places, due to the amount of cars trying to leave Capodimonte after the festivities.

We rounded off a lovely day with an ice cream at our favourite gelateria in Marta at 12.30am, it was surprisingly busy still but then it was a pleasantly balmy evening

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!