Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Sagra della Sbroscia




On June 30th and July1st the Sagra della Sbroscia was celebrated for the first time in Marta. It was held at the Borgo del Pescatori.  This also gives me an opportunity to share with you some recent photos of the area  after the changes it underwent earlier this year when the old trees were removed. In case you have not seen these in earlier posts the links are Fishermans-beach-spiaggia-del-pescatore.  and  Friday Photos - As It Was.


To get back to the Sagra, it was another typical Italian food event of which we have quite a few in this region.  I have been unable to actually find a translation for Sbroscia but it is a local dish particular to the shores of the Lago di Bolsena. It is a kind of fish soup and according to tradition, the soup always used to be prepared with water from the lake itself.  I have no idea if the tradition was upheld for this Sagra and I did not ask!
All I managed to find out was that the Marta recipe was is made from good fresh fish, tomatoes, mint, potatoes and bread.


I also found this recipe online at Info - Bolsena - it

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tench
  • 4 Perch
  • 1 Pike
  • 1 Anguilla
  • ½ Onion
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ Garlic
  • 1 Pepper
  • Mint
  • Tomatoes
  • 2 kg of potatoes
  • Salt
  • Twenty slices of stale bread
Preparation :
Provide the cleaning of fish, in an earthenware pot, fry mint, chopped garlic and onion before adding 2 tablespoons of oil.
Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes.
Chop the tomatoes and add them to the mixture with the fish.
Add about l, 5 l of water (preferably lake , as is traditional), salt and continue cooking in a covered container for 30 m.
Spread the slices of bread into the bowls and cover with the soup, add the remaining oil.



The Menu
For the 12 Euro Menu as well as our bowl of Sbroscia we were also given a selection of  fried lake fish, Latterino, Perch and Anguilla (Eel).  The dish that the Sbroscia was served in was also ours to take home.


We had a great time, it was a well supported event as my photos show and I certainly hope it will go on to be another annual event in Marta.














 It was certainly a pleasant way to spend a summer evening and we got bring these bowls home!




28 comments:

  1. I love the souvenir bowls that you get to take home Linda. That tomato salad looks yummy. M has looked up all about tinca now, and he added that a capodimontano friend of ours had said that they are best roasted. Looks like they are often used in dishes with other fish as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really fun. The food and the smile is perfect. Have a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun event to share, and I don't think I would have asked either if the soup was made from the lake water. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a perfect day!! I would had been so happy with a day like that. The bowls are marvelous!!! Yes Grazie for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bowls, what a lovely memory of a great evening. It sounds like a real fun evening and not expensive. Have a good evening Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Must have been a very nice day and the food looks yummy !
    I wrote today about Expat Italian, I thought it might interest you !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Have you heard of a “crocette in porchetta"? I read about the dish, and the one you describe sounds similar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a very pleasant evening and I love your bowls - a lovely souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos make me want to stroll along the streets there! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marta is amazing, there are sooo many things going on there! Looks like yet another lovely sagra. Love the bowls as well, nice to have something more than memories and a full stomach to take away with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, just the bowl itself made it worth the cost. Sounds like a fun day and the soup sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds good except for the lake water. Love the souvenir bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a wonderful night. I could go for some food just like that right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 12€...sigh...what a deal! Again, all I can say is that it's a shame that the drive is not shorter to central/southern Italy. 12€!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo I love those tomatoes. The bowls are really beautiful to keep as souvenir. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all looks and sounds delicious - but I hope that lake water wasn't involved! The sea front is looking quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Que rico...! Me gusta!
    Preciosas fotos.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sbroscia! I'd never heard of it! Sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love fish soup, never heard of some of those fishes, but I bet it was delicious! I wouldn't have asked about the Lake water either (and I would definitely have eaten the soup) -- but in case it is still how they make it I hope your Lake is less muddy than ours is.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bowls are beautiful. It looks like it was a successful event. The food sounds delicious. Was the long tube thing a children's play tube or a fishing net?
    thanks for sharing, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a perfect way to spend a summer's evening! The dish with fish, tomatoes, mint, potatoes etc. sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like fun!

    There were a lot of food festivals when I lived in Belgium too! Even if they didn't start out that way, somehow they always managed to revolve around food (and beer)! :p

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really enjoyed this post, especially the Italian food. Though something really surprised me in the recipe - two kilograms of potatoes, are you kidding me?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like lot of fun and good food !

    ReplyDelete
  25. You enjoy some really interesting festivals in your region, Lindy. I enjoy trying different types of fresh fish when we are in Italy, especially fresh water fish. I've cooked baked pike for my in-laws and found they enjoyed my simple recipe! These days fish is more popular than meat for Italian special celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I would love this festa LindyLou. Friturra Mista is my all time favourite fish dish which I will only have in Italia, even in good Italian restaurants in London it is just not the same!

    The bowls are really sweet, I like the swordfish? on them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - fish soup with mint? I've never heard of such a dish, but it sounds absolutely wonderful. :-) Love these pictures of your happy evening. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It definitely looks like a wonderful evening. All your celebrations do, Linda! Marta looks beautiful, still.

    Wishing you a very festive and also relaxing weekend!

    – g

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!