Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Saint Nicholas Day




The tradition of Saint Nicholas Day, usually on 6 December, is a festival for children in many countries in Europe including Italy related to surviving legends of the saint, and particularly his reputation as a bringer of gifts.


I have read two  very interesting and different online blogs on the subject of St Nicholas today which I thought I would share with you. The first is just a sheer delight to read and the second is an interesting historical account. If you are not already familiar with these blogs I do hope you will be able to find a minute or two to take a quick look at them.http://thekeepingtime.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-believe-in-santa.html   This first one is about a little American girl who lives in Italy as her Dad is in the navy and her Mum writes a great blog about their life in Sicily. She questions the existence of Father Christmas and todays blog is her mum's wonderful reply. Worth reading as so beautifully put.


The second link is to a factual but fascinating historical account about Saint Nicholas.
http://bestofitaly.blogspot.com/2009/12/san-nicola-italys-original-santa-claus.html



Did any of you celebrate Saint Nicholas today?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, thank you for your sweet description! I'm touched!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!