Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Holy Week



Yesterday was the start of Holy Week and various regions of Italy carry out special celebrations today on Holy Monday/Lundei Santo.

So far I have not discovered any particular rituals that take place in the Viterbo region.  Castelsardo in Sardinia seems to be the most well known region that carries out a ritual today called Lunissanti. Members of the Brotherhood of the Holy Cross/ Confraternita di Santa Croce, dressed in long white hooded tunics and carrying religious artefacts, take part in processions and sing, or rather chant from dawn until dusk.
I found the following video on YouTube which will give you an idea of what goes on.
 
Mote information can also be found on Wikepedia/Holy Monday and in particular about the rituals in Sardinia here Easter Week in Sardinia

4 comments:

  1. Good Morning LindyLouMac Sweetie...
    What a wonderful tradition. Your country is so full of history and celebrations. Wouldn't this be wonderful to actually witness in person, real life?

    I don't know of any beautiful rituals like that here in the states. Anyway I haven't heard of any, and we certainly don't have anything here in the desert that I know of. I will be doing some research now to see what we have that does happen this time of year. I think there are a few Passion Plays, and sunrise worships, but that is all.

    Have a beautiful day sweet friend. Country hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Just had to comment. Dying to just pick up and move to Italy -- for like the last 7 years. Don't know if I can wait for my kiddos to leave the nest. Just glad to see that someone just decided one day to pack it up and go. Feeling suddenly inspired today. Thank you for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to my two newest followers, it is great to have you here and happy to inspire you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I bet Holy Week in Italy is magical. I just found your blog today and am your newest follower. I have taken two trips to Italy and until I am there again I am going to live through your blog!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!