Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sunday Song – La Nostra Lingua Italiano–Our Italian Language

 

 

La Bella Lingua pb

 

For my Sunday Song selection this week I want to share with you a recent discovery I made in the final pages (page 289) of La Bella Lingua by Dianne Hales which I reviewed here on Wednesday.

This is what she has to say about this song, in the words of Dianne Hales “ in ‘La Nostra Lingua Italiano – Our Italian Language’, written in 1993 and featured on YouTube, the songwriter Riccardo Cocciante  celebrates Italian as serene, sweet, welcoming, universal, generous and sensual, the language of the ancient marble of cathedrals, of boats and serenades at sea, of looks and smiles from afar, of palaces and fountains, of opera and the grand Italian cinema, the language always looking for ‘un po d’amore – a little love’ “

 

Courtesy of Lenore814

Lyrics to La Nostra Lingua Italiana :

Lingua di marmo antico di una cattedrale
lingua di spada e pianto di dolore
lingua che chiama da una torre al mare
lingua di mare che porta nuovi volti
lingua di monti esposta a tutti i venti
che parla di neve bianca agli aranceti
lingua serena, dolce, ospitale
la nostra lingua italiana
Lingua di lavoro e lingua per onore
nei mercati stoffe, gioielli e ori
lingua di barche e serenate a mare
lingua di sguardi e sorrisi da lontano
lingua ordinata da un uomo di Firenze
che parla del cielo agli architetti
lingua nuova, divina, universale
la nostra lingua italiana
Ed è per strada mentre lavora tra la gente
e l’onda dello stadio e l’urlo della folla
in trattoria mentre mangia e beve allegramente
e un sorriso nelle tue labbra di donna
e la tua voce mentre dice "ti amo“
e nei bar di chi si perde in un bicchiere
con chi ha sbagliato a piangere, a scherzare
e in ogni gesto cercare un po‘ d’amore
un po‘ d’amore
Lingua che parla di palazzi e fontane
lingua d‘ osteria tra vino e puttane
lingua di grazia nelle corti e nell‘amore
lingua d‘ amore che è bella da sentire
lingua che canta lungo l‘Arno al mare
fino alla sabbia del continente americano
lingua ideale, generosa, sensuale
la nostra lingua italiana
E un aeroplano che vola
sull‘Atlantico tranquillo
sulla rotta polare o quella delle Antille
una rosa rossa color del sangue
spina di una rosa ti punge e sei sua amante
e una donna snella che vince nella moda
e guida un‘ auto rossa prestigio della strada
poi si sposa con la luce e come un faro
proietta al mondo il grande cinema italiano
il grande cinema italiano
Lingua dell‘opera
lingua del bel canto che canta con violini
e gioca col suo accento
lingua dello spazio e termini in inglese
della scissione a freddo e formule in francese
lingua di pace
lingua di cultura
dell‘avanguardia internazionale
La lingua mia, la tua
la nostra lingua italiana

 La Nostra Lingua Italiana Lyrics on http://www.lyricsmania.com/

Riccardo was born on the 20th of February 1946 in Saigon, French Indochina now known as Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, to a French mother and an Italian father. The family moved to Italy, Rome when he was eleven years old where he has been a successful musician since 1972.  In 1991 he won the Sanremo Festival with the song "Se stiamo insieme", and for Christmas 1997 legendary Spanish operatic tenor and friend Plácido Domingo invited him to sing at Domingo's annual Christmas in Vienna concert, together with Sarah Brightman and Helmut Lotti.

More biographical and career information can be found about Riccardo Cocciante on both Wikipedia and his Official Website it is from these sites and YouTube that I have found out all my information when researching this post.

 

More Sunday Songs can be found by visiting 5 Minutes Just for Me

Buono Domenica a Tutti

7 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! How are you? Thanks so much for popping in to visit before and sorry I wasn't ready for you to link up your song. We have just returned from a week at the beach and I was running behind with today's post. I am also way behind on my blog visits and haven't even listened to last week's songs. I look forward to doing a big catch up this week!

    I have enjoyed listening to this week's song and it sounds like you have really enjoyed reading La Bella Lingua. You are so lucky to be able to understand such a beautiful and romantic language!

    Hope you have a great week and I will be back later on in the week to catch up on your previous posts.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha - A late spring trip to the beach how wonderful. I guess if you have finished your teaching contract you will have a little more time to catch up. I am always amazed how you find the time to blog so much anyway! You really do not need to know any Italian to enjoy this book and it along with songs has helped me understand more. Off to link up now. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a comment today, oh, sometimes blogger pull me some tricks.
    I love Cocciante, but I didn't know this song, it seems that you know Italian music more than me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say that I just love your Sunday Song posts...I have downloaded them all after previewing them here on your blog. Thank you so much for sharing, and as always, I look forward to reading more of your wonderful posts.
    Con Affetto,
    Vanessa from Optimal Optimist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thank you for stopping by. It's my pleasure to follow your google friends and your networked blog.

    best wishes!

    Amiko
    http://mynameamiko.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Lindy, yep, I've managed to finally find my way back online - no thanks to BT or the Postoffice here though... I really think I should learn Italian, all the songs sound so beautiful and the language - even when just spoken - sounds romantic and melodic.

    I've read a bit further in your posts, but might have missed the crucial part, have you now got your dishwasher back now? And if yes, did you celebrate? ;-) Hope you have a good week, Love from London xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alessandra - Pleased it worked for you today. It is funny that I am introducing you to some Italian songs :)

    O.O. - Thankyou Vanessa, it is great that you are enjoying the Italian popular music that I am sharing.

    Amiko - Welcome and thankyou for becoming my latest follower. I hope you will enjoy sharing our life in Italy.

    Mademoiselle P - Welcome back after your move. Telecom services are just as bad here it seems. Is it the same in France as well? Italian is a beautiful language and I think as a French speaker you would pick it up easily :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!