Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Road Trip to UK Part Four



New Year


On New Year’s Eve we left Salisbury and drove up to Surrey to spend a few hours with David’s parents before driving on up to Suffolk.
We were to spend a few days with our friends Steve and Sue our most regular visitors to stay in Italy since we moved out six years ago, as fortunately for us, they either enjoy our company or like us have fallen for the area, hopefully both. They were last out with us in September for the first time driving down. http://lindyloumac.blogspot.com/2009/09/september.html. When we visit the UK by car we usually visit them, unfortunately circumstances last year meant we were unable to, so we were delighted to be able to chill out with them in Suffolk and recharge our batteries before the long drive home.
We had a very relaxing time with them starting with a delicious meal for the four of us that evening followed by the London Fireworks on television, plus some locally and the bonus was it started to snow. It seemed pretty and somehow fitting then but I know that some of you reading this were soon to have had more than enough of the sight of snow!
New Years Day 2010 was spent very quietly relaxing in the comfortable home that Steve and Sue have made from a barn conversion. We did make the effort to take some exercise though by going for a walk.




On the Saturday they took us to the Suffolk seaside, Southwold a typical English seaside town where I loved the beach huts! Unfortunately my photographic efforts were nothing like the postcard I sent to my Blogging friend, Anne in Oxfordshire for which she gave me a lovely mention.   http://anne-arnott.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-did-postman-bring-me-today.html
We took a walk out on to the pier and then along the promenade to Gun Hill. By the time we had eaten lunch and strolled around the town doing a little shopping, it was getting rather cold again.  In fact as we left the coast and headed inland it started to snow again. A couple of inches overnight meant we were able to enjoy another snowy walk on Sunday afternoon having spent the morning with the Sunday papers, a treat for us.


Below I have posted just a selection of photos from our weekend in Suffolk. If you are interested more can be seen at My Flickr Account.      More Photos of Entire Trip


New Years Eve Dinner Table


New Years Eve Snowing


View of Southwold from the pier


Model ships in the pier shop.


Beach huts Southwold


Gun Hill Southwold


The last few photos are scenes from a snowy walk















Sunset at the end of another snowy day in Suffolk.



5 comments:

  1. Hey there!!!

    LOVE your UK pics! Can't wait to go and visit Anne in a few months.. I've never even been to London, if you can imagine that!!! London/Oxfordshire, here I come!!!!

    Have a great weekend!!
    Leesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda, thank you so much for the link. It was so great of you to send me the card from Southwold. I have not been there for years and years. It is a firm favourite of my brothers and was also was a favourite retreat of my sisters, she unfortunately died 2 years ago.

    Your photos are great, thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! I particularly like the one of the beach huts - nice and graphic. Looks like you had a good time in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, On behalf of my mother, we want to say how much we enjoy your photos and stories.

    We had a excellent Christmas as the my brothers, sister, niece and nephew were over. Had a lot of fun together.

    I am visiting my mother this weekend and we are having a great time.

    The disaster in Haiti does not put things in perspective.

    Richard Glenn Matheson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise: Thanks. I took quite a few of the beach huts and was not myself very pleased with them, so I appreciate your comment.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mctumble

    Richard and Joyce: I enjoy keeping in touch with family and friends this way. I have also made some great new friends via cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!