Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Rome - Buon Compleanno Roma

 

 Photos of Roma courtesy of Wikipedia

A view of Rome: the top left picture to the is theColosseum, followed (left to right) by the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, the Piazza della Repubblica, theCastel Sant' Angelo, the Trevi Fountain, the dome of St. Peter's Basilica and finally an aerial view of the city's historic centre.

Today is the 2,763rd Birthday of the city of Roma. As according to legend Rome was founded on April 21st, 753 BC by Romulus and Remus.  In roman mythology, they are the twin sons of the priestess Rhea Silvia and Mars, the god of war. The twins narrowly escaped an attempt to drown them in their infancy and were supposedly rescued and raised by a she-wolf. When they became adults they apparently decided to build a city and while arguing over who should rule and thereby name the city Romulus killed Remus.  The city of Roma was born!

 

According to legend, Rome was founded in 753 BC by Romulus and Remus, who were partly raised by a she-wolf.   Find out more by clicking on the blue links which will take you to the relevant Wikipedia pages.

 

2763.JPG 

Image courtesy of http://www.vignaclarablog.it/2010041710189/21-aprile-2010-roma-compie-2763-anni/ where more detailed information of events can be found

From April 18th to the 23rd in Roma there will be over 30 events and 70 free guided tours at 19 archaeological sites and monuments and 18 museums taking place to celebrate. A grand finale will take place that recalls the history of the City with lights, sounds and fireworks from the terrace of Pincio. A local festival has taken place since 1870 to encourage the Romans to gain a better knowledge of their historical heritage.

Below is the link to another Blog post about Roma's Birthday.

2 Baci in a Pinon Tree - Happy Birthday Roma Blog Post

Tanti Auguri Roma

8 comments:

  1. I'd love to see the Finale at Pincio. We were in Roma for the first day of the celebrations last Saturday, and the crowds were brutal...but maybe. Tanti auguri Roma!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Rome, sounds like some fun events are planned. Sorry we won't be joining in, maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to Rome myself, but my hubby has fond memories. Hope to visit there some day soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very Happy to share a compleanno with my favorite city in the world!! Buon Compleanno! Bella Roma!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this post - Happy Birthday Roma!
    Thanks so much for stopping by and becoming a follower - I really appreciate it. I was so happy to find your blog because your "news from Italy' will definitely feed my love of Italy until my next trip there! I can't wait to keep reading. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - It was such a shame that the volcano put paid to your recent trip.

    Serline - Likewise for me to Thailand.

    Joe - Buon compleanno!

    Alissa - Ditto and for me it will be for craft tips:) Hope you are able come to Italy again soon.

    Thankyou all for visiting and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rome is one of my favourite cities in the world. It is such a beautiful city.

    I visited Rome in 1994 and it is my dream to visit again.

    I will be posting some pics of my visit to Italy on my blog (hopefully soon).

    Thanks for this post and thanks for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!