Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Foto Solution - Clathrus ruber, a fungus, in the stinkhorn mushroom family

 

 

Having set my friends and family 'googling' for me this morning I set off to attend Marta's Festa della Madonna del Monte which is held on the 14th of May every year, details photos and links to follow.

Anne from the blog  Anne in Oxfordshire and Leesa from News From France  both came up trumps with loads of information on my mystery fungus. Thanks to these experts in Google Searches I present  Clathrus ruber, a fungus, in the stinkhorn mushroom family.

2010-05-10

Apparently these stinkhorns can be as good as their name and smell of rotting meat, luckily these did not do so but they were somewhat slimy. I also found it intriguing how they shrivel away and disappear completely. There one day and gone the next, which is why I think the other half did not believe me when I described the first one I found to him. It was no longer there!

It is all the wet weather we have had this spring that has caused this and possibly all sorts of other interesting fungus to pop up where one might not normally expect to see them.

I must keep a look out for more interesting specimens, if it ever stops raining long enough for me to go and investigate.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clathrus_ruber  More can be learnt at Wikipedia.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=red%20fungus%20mushroom&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi   Lots of images.

I am now going to get ready to go out again down to Marta for more celebrations. There is supposed to be a Firework display later this evening but the weather does not look very hopeful at the moment.

Emily from Discovering Flowers thanks to you as well for successfully solving the mystery.

If you have five minutes to spare do take a look at the other blogs mentioned, three very different views of life in Oxfordshire, Paris and Sicily.

7 comments:

  1. Appreciate that you give us a chance to learn new, a first specimens from nature:) Discovery Channel my first, then your blog secondly I find interesting, Linda:)
    Oh, rainy and full gray weather upon us:( I dislike, never like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda..

    Leesa and I must of been on to it straight away and at the same time ♥ .. Great minds think alike.. Well done to Emily as well.

    Thanks for the link, I am pleased we all solved your mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the mystery was solved. That really is a peculiar looking fungus. Though the color is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah! I found it funny how Anne and I were looking at the same time... Hehehe! Thanks for posting it.. and MY --- HOW bizarre.. Please put up some more pics if you find some more!

    Have a great weekend.... Leese

    ReplyDelete
  5. What unusual-looking fungi! Have you tasted them?

    Many thanks for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I am glad that you found out what the mystery fungus is called! I am glad it didn't live up to its stinky name!

    I am off to check out these new sites-thanks for the intro!

    Best wishes for a great week,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nihal - Thanks, your comment made me smile.

    Anne and Leesa - Your research was much appreciated.

    Pam - Yes the colour was attractive!

    Lady Fi - No as it is an inedible species!!

    Natasha - Hope you found the new to you sites interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!