Welcome Everyone.

Welcome to News From Italy, my blog about our Italian Adventure. Although this blog has now ceased publication I will be continuing to blog and I am sincerely hoping that my many followers here will move with me to Travel Tales blog to follow my next adventures wherever they may take me. The links to my other blogs are:-


I look forward to keeping in touch with you via them, thanks once again for all the support you have given 'News From Italy' over the years.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Song - Buon Ferragosto Tribute

 

courtesy of Google images

The Bank Holiday on August 15th is typically Italian although it is celebrated in a number of other European countries, but not in the UK.  Many Italians take long holidays around this date, celebrating the actual day with lavish long lunches and given the heat at this time of the year often seaside, lakeside or in the refreshing mountain air.

The word Ferragosto derives from the Latin phrase feriae Augusti (Augustus' rest), a feast that was started by the emperor Octavian Augustus in 18 BC  to celebrate the harvest and the end of the main farm work. During the festivities, throughout the empire were organized races with horses donkeys and mules, were free from work and decked with flowers. These ancient traditions are still alive  in some parts of Italy today, virtually unchanged in form and participation such as the Palio di Siena held in Siena on August 16 every year.

All over Italy tonight there will be musical entertainment, plus in some places Fireworks to celebrate Ferragosto, so what sort of music will they be listening to. A lot of it will be English language pop music, but here is a varied selection of the tribute to Ferragosto videos that I found on YouTube. 

Some Reggae to start with.

Courtesy of sabrina3309    Laid Back - Sunshine Reggae

This next video sums up summer beautifully, no biographical information on the artist today though as I will feature him as my chosen artist in the next few weeks.

 

 Courtesy of marinellaforever

A blast from the past, this artist is still very popular here in Italy, so I will feature him individually as well soon with biographical information.

Courtesy of STAGE58

My final choice is another oldie that sums up summer nights in the city for me 'Luna di Citta d' Agosto'  'The Moon in the City in August sung by Lorenzo Jovanotti another artist I plan to feature here as a Sunday song artist in the next few weeks.

Courtesy of surbino

I hope you have enjoyed this selection of Tribute to Ferragosto music and videos as a taster of songs from three Italian male singers that I plan to feature individually over the next few weeks.

 

 More Sunday Songs can be found by visiting 5 Minutes Just for Me

 

Buon Ferragosto

We will be celebrating today with Our Wonderful Neighbours, some of you will already know how kind they are to us, treating us like members of their extended family.

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you will have a wonderful time with your lovely friends. Have a chianti for me!

    I will be thinking of you as I listen to the fabulous selection of party music you have shared.

    Best wishes and Buon Ferragosto to you Linda!
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ferragosto, apart from the local diy shops being closed for about two weeks. Unfortunately we aren't in Italy in August as we took our holiday earlier so please party for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah!! So that's what all the fuss was late into the night last night, lol!!!! The later it got, the louder it got and there was some serious music and dancing going on just over the fence from my housing area. I was already in sweats and enjoying some newly purchased wine, or I would have joined in! Oh well - next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saretta - Thanks we did, hope you did also :)

    Dim Sum - Thankyou, hope yours was fun also.

    Natasha - We did and the day was made perfect by seeing a shooting star.

    Jenny - I think it might be a proper holiday if the DIY shops were closed when you are here :)

    Jeannie - Never mind, plenty of other party opportunities to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lindy, thank you for your visit and your comment, I love visitors from all over the world.
    Your blog seems very interesting, and I will have some fun following it. If I could pick a place to live, right now would be Italy! I just went there on vacation this June, and we had a great time!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you enjoyed your weekend. It should have been a bank holiday here too, as for a change the weather was good. When we do have the bank holiday, in two weeks time, it will no doubt rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simony - I am happy to have found you via Sunday Song. What a coincidence that you were recently here in Italy! Where abouts did you visit?

    Cheshire wife - It is good to see you back in blogland. We had a fabulous weekend thankyou. Saturday was not so good though and I thought we were going to have a very English BH weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it and enjoy reading them all. I now only respond to comments via email, so please make sure your comment is linked to your account, if you would like a response. Otherwise I will not be able to respond!